RWK is proud to offer Amateur Radio License Exam testing as a service to our members and local community. Test sessions are conducted either in person and remotely by computer. We conduct exams though W5YI-VEC, and the fee for an exam session is $14, the VE team is currently paying the fee for one test per level for members of the RWK, in other words if you join the RWK, your tests are free (as long as you keep passing them).
If you are not yet licensed and wish to join, then go ahead and register for an exam, then contact the examination coordinator after registration, before you pay for the exam. Contact details are emailed to you after registration.
Remote Exam Sessions
RWK members conduct remote license exam sessions by computer using Zoom and exam.tools, which is provided by hamstudy.org (which is a great way to study for your license). See the right column to see our upcoming sessions, what you need to do, and how to register.
Remote license testing is fast and easy and if you pass, in most cases you can have your new license the next business day.
What Do You Need for Remote License Testing?
- You need to have a good internet connection capable of supporting video conferencing.
- You need to have a good webcam on your computer. In addition, you may be asked to use a cell phone as a second camera.
- You will need a “clean” environment to take the exam in (an uncluttered desk/table with nothing around that could be hiding cheat methods and one where nobody will be entering the room unexpectedly, which could void the exam).
- While the exam is not time-limited, you will need enough uninterrupted time to finish – starting and stopping is not allowed. Many people can finish in just a few minutes, but you should be prepared to take as much time as you need.
If you can meet these requirements, please Review the Instructions and Procedure for remote testing and check the list on the right to schedule a remote testing session with the K5RWK testing team.
In-Person License Exam Sessions
Note: In-Person Testing is temporarily suspended due to the COVID-19 Pandemic – Please select one of our remote testing sessions.
RWK conducts in-person license exam sessions in Richardson on the third Thursday evening of each month as a service to the local community. The location is St. Barnabas Presbyterian Church, 1220 W. Beltline Rd, Richardson TX 75080. Time is from 7:00 P.M. until about 9:00 P.M. Click this LINK for the map.
You will need a photo ID, and (if you wish) a non-programmable calculator.
If you currently hold a license and are attempting to upgrade, be sure to bring your license plus one copy to the exam session. Also, there have been FCC rule changes that allow former hams to gain license test credit in certain instances. Please let us know if you hold an expired license.
Upcoming License Testing Sessions
- Ham License Testing – Remote on February 2, 2022 6:00 pm
- Ham License Testing – Remote on February 10, 2022 6:00 pm
- Ham License Testing – Remote on February 17, 2022 6:00 pm
- Ham License Testing – Remote on February 24, 2022 6:00 pm
To Register for a Test Session
- Select a session from the above list of scheduled sessions and go to hamstudy.org to register.
- Complete your registration with hamstudy.org and receive your registration via email.
- If you are not a member of the RWK, Pay for your exam session here (click the Buy Now button) – you can pay with your PayPal account or Credit/Debit card.
- Review the instructions for your remote testing session.
NOTE: If you have not paid or have not followed the remote testing instructions, we cannot administer your exam. Testing fees are non-refundable.